The Social Science Computing Cooperative supports researchers at UW-Madison who use statistical analysis in their work. We provide a complete research computing environment focused on statistics plus the expert help you need to use it. This includes:
- Statistical consultants who are experts on the most popular statistical software and can answer many methodological questions
- Training on statistical computing, including workshops and an extensive Statistical Computing Knowledge Base.
- Powerful and easy-to-use Windows and Linux based servers with the most popular statistical software installed and ready for use, plus many specialized packages
- A restricted data environment for working with HIPAA or other sensitive data
- Secure data storage
- A dedicated help desk staffed by IT professionals, with immediate access to the system administrators who run the servers
The Social Science Computing Cooperative was created by researchers more than 30 years ago in order to take advantage of returns to scale by pooling resources. It is governed today by a Steering Committee made up primarily of faculty researchers, who represent their member agencies. This structure allows the SSCC to be responsive and flexible, but also makes us accountable to our members.
The SSCC is also committed to future researchers. SSCC training is extremely popular with graduate students and others who are just starting their research careers. Instructors in the Social Science Division of the College of Letters and Sciences can use SSCC facilities for methodology classes, which means they can teach with the software they use every day while their students learn to use powerful statistical packages right from the beginning. Students taking classes that use SSCC facilities are welcome to go to the SSCC’s statistical consultants for help with class work and projects.
Center for Demography and Ecology • The Center for Demography of Health and Aging • COWS• Economics • Institute on Aging• Institute for Research on Poverty • School of Human Ecology • School of Medicine and Public Health • Sociology • Wisconsin School of Business • University of Wisconsin Survey Center
The SSCC also serves:
Data & Information Services Center • The Havens Wright Center • Social Science Research Services • Wisconsin Longitudinal Study